This is a wire compost bin plan that is very easy to build. Wire compost bins are great for yard debris like lawn clippings, chipped wood and even some household items.
- 12 feet of 36″ wide poultry wire with 1″ openings
- 4 48″ long wooden dowels 3/4″ thick, or 4 metal rods
- 4 metal clips or copper wire
- Eye protection, wire snips, pliers
- Roll out the poultry wire and fold back 2″ on either end to give yourself a clean edge to work with.
- Form a circle with the wire and fasten the folded edges together with the clips or wire
- Set the bin upright in the location you have selected for it and pound the dowels into the ground inside of the bin, against the edge.
- Use wire to fasten the bin to the dowels. This will help the bin maintain its shape
Wire Compost bins are great when used in conjunction with other bins, as a holding area for finished compost, or material that will be composted. Because they are somewhat flimsy it makes turning compost in a wire bin difficult.